Thursday, February 7, 2008

Please, won't you rock my boat?

Karla, this blog's for you, amiga!

I just received an e-mail from my dear friend Karla who stated that my blog is like eating a cracker a week. She added that she would prefer to eat a whole loaf a day! I love the way she put that. And I am grateful that some of you are continually checking up on me! Hopefully you will get what you wished for, Karla! I'm going to do my best to fill you all in on la vida aqui (the life here).

Please don't be muy celoso (very jealous), but I am writing to you from THE Galapagos Islands! I just got back from hours upon hours of snorkeling with sea lions, sharks, mantarays, and lots and lots of fishies! For those of you who went to Washington with me over the summer, you'll know that this was a dream come true! There were so many Manny look-a-likes! But these sea lions were super playful! I was in heaven- but much wetter!

We spent the last few days on an island called Isabela. It had so much character I'm not even sure where to begin. We were basically the only Caucasian people on the island with a bunch of natives- such a blast, our hotel was right on the beach, sand/dirt roads, warm sun, warm rains, marine iguanas, and the stars at night lit up the entire sky. PS- the Big Dipper is upside down here!! One negative point (I know it seems that this is impossible), but they too were celebrating Carnaval- right in front of our hotel. We had the pleasure of listening to Daddy Yankee's reggaeton albums until about 3 in the A.M. Heather, you'd love it. Rompe is your favorite song, isn't it? But other than that I can't complain too much. I have had a bit of a cold, but the incredible things we are doing have a way of making me feel so much better.

Nonetheless, now we are here, in Santa Cruz. This island is much more "developed" for lack of a better word. I type to you from an Internet cafe without Dial-Up. That's right, the Internet Cafe on Isabela was Dial-Up. Talk about a lesson in patience. But in all seriousness, again I felt like God was revealing the beauty of simplicity in Isabela. There were so many less distractions, and so much more beauty in nature to admire. And for me I am unable to separate the beauty of this place and the existence of God. I wake up and see him everywhere.

Something I learned today. Like the tide, we often feel that God retreats, and returns, retreats, and returns. But if we could just raise our eyes for just a moment we would see the ocean. We would see that God is so immense, so huge, and so near to us, all of the time. What comfort! What a promise.

Perhaps I'll write again tomorrow- I must schedule my classes for this spring before the sun sets! I love you all so very much.

Mucho sol, y mucho amor from the Galapagos Islands!

No comments: