Monday, February 18, 2008

Awake me please when this is over.

(El Bosque in Mindo)





I reference this certain song lyric because I am living in a dream!

Well, fortunately, I am not- but I have just returned from a trip to Mindo; a little region a few hours northeast (I think) of Quito. It is in what they call a Cloud Forest, so with the clouds in full view outside of my windows it truly felt as if I was in a dream. In addition to the setting (which honestly, our hotel was a treehouse- SO chevere), my experiences were unreal. We started out Saturday going tubing. Folks, this was no typical tubing. There were about 10 huge black tubes tied together and we were going to be riding down a freezing cold, choppy river. We had no idea what we were getting ourselves into. The gentlemen who accompanied us on the tubes were what I liked to describe as water cowboys. I hope that gives you a sense of how they had to control the tubes as we ventured down the rio (river). It was a rush, and totally dangerous! But we all survived, and were undoubtedly able to experience a certain type of informal tourism. I highly recommend it.

While we only had 2 days and 1 night in Mindo, we managed to get our fill of hiking in the forest. Saturday we hiked a shorter trail but were able to learn a great deal about the biodiversity and history more or less of the Cloud Forest (while wearing big rubber boots of course). But yesterday, oh yesterday! We saw Tucan Sam, hummingbirds and their nests, flowers that have patterns as if they are hand painted, hiked up a river, and proceeded to climb cascadas (waterfalls). It was incredible, tiring, beautiful, muddy, and was nothing short of the set of Ferngully- if that movie hadn’t been animated. I feel in awe once again as I reminisce of this weekend’s adventures.



(Rubber boots!)




But you must know, I feel most as if I’m in a dream because of something quite different. This past week I have finally begun helping out at an orphanage! It was something I knew I would want to do here, and I’ve got the place! With all of the free afternoons I have here I’m going to be able to help out at least a few times a week. I went for the first time on Thursday, took a short tour of the orphanage, and fell in love. The orphanage is beautiful, clean, well-run. I was impressed and so thankful that such a place is available in Quito. And the little ones!! Oh my gracious I can’t even express how much life they give me! On Friday I spent a few hours with the toddlers- my favorite age, and made so many new pals. Isn’t it a mysterious and beautiful gift children have- the way they have so much energy, are so honest, so life-giving, so unconditionally loving. They are undoubtedly giving me just as much love as I am trying to offer them. It’s true that when you give you receive so much more. What a wonderful new hello from all of the children, but I am foreseeing that I will be having a very difficult time saying goodbye.

I’m headed there this afternoon so I’ll be offering many more details about the orphanage and all its little characters- just you wait!!

Sending you mucho sol (sun)!

No comments: