Thursday, February 14, 2008

A Summary: Las Islas de Galapagos






I did it- I had the privilege of visiting one of the most radical, raz-ma-taz places in the entire world: THE Galapagos Islands! Let me begin by saying that it was not what I would have expected (as often things never are). We arrived in what appeared to be the desert. 20 minutes into our bus ride it felt as if we were in the jungle. And eventually we landed at our hotel right on the white, sandy beach. What an arrival- this was the island of Isabela that captured all of our hearts. Isabela is less developed than most of the other islands, which was so wonderful. We were able to wander and see "real life" (oh yeah, and wildlife like this crazy marine iguana) in this place. The people were so kind, so relaxed, so often laying in hammocks. What tranquility in Isabela!








I may have mentioned in my previous blog that I swam with sea lions, and sharks, and mantarays, oh my! Honestly, swimming with sea lions was like a dream. The blue-footed boobies were cool, too. Their feet really are so vibrant!



I am at a loss for words today, so I hope that my photographs will give you a glimpe into the Galapagos. I checked out a photography exhibit the other day in downtown Quito- I must write about that another day. A photographer had said that photography is a "universal text". Therefore, I hope my pictures speak for me!

But now I am back home, in Quito. (My home is Quito, how crazy!) And I have to deliver a presentation in about an hour regarding illegal immigration- in Spanish of course! But I wanted to be sure to get this thought down before it leaves me.

Loving Jesus is a daily decision, a daily choice. If we wish to grow, be changed, love more we must put him before us daily. We must cling to his truths, Him, daily. Easier said than done, I know. But life is just a blink and we must live every moment fully and well. A Robert Frost excerpt I recently read reminds me of all of this. Take a look!

...why abandon a belief
Merely because it ceases to be true.
Cling to it long enough, and not a doubt
It will turn true again, for so it goes.
Most of the change we think we see in life
Is due to truths being in and out of favor
As I sit here, and oftentimes I wish
I could be a monarch of a desert land
I could devote and dedicate forever
To the truths we keep coming back and back to.


Feliz Dia de St. Valentin mis amigos!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Seriously! That baby sea lion is the cutest...I want to squeeze it! Miss you, love you, praying for you!
-Kirsta