Wednesday, January 30, 2008

I´m happy inside, all of the time!

(Jessica, Johanna, y Mildrida conmigo!)




¡Hola a todos! I have discovered a simple truth about living in Ecuador. It is this- anything can happen. For instance, I have a friend in the program who lives about 2 minutes from my house, so we spend a great deal of time together. We take strolls to the Internet cafes, the supermarkets, the panaderias for the most incredible freshly baked bread in the world, and back. We were walking from her house to mine the other day when we saw before us a group of boys with water balloons in their hands. DD said out loud, ¨How cute! They are playing with water balloons!¨ It wasn´t soon after that we realized they were staring straight at us, smiling widely. We took off running, claro (of course!) Unfortunately I don´t run as fast in this altitude and I had several water balloons broken over my head, and at least twenty thrown at me. We were SOAKED to say the least. This is an example of how Ecuadorians celebrate Carnaval. I´m not exactly sure what Carnaval is celebrated for... I´ll let you know when I find out.

One of my more dry experiences (as in my clothes were dry, the experience was not) occured this past weekend. Side note: I´m pretty good at making lame jokes in Spanish as well. Karla, I know you´ve been dying to know whether or not that would be the case!

Let´s get back on track. We had the privilege of staying with indigenous families for a night up in a village called Otavalo over the weekend. There were 6 children in my family- ages 2 (two of the most beautiful little Latin American girls, Johanna y Mildrida), 9 (spunky Jessica), 10 (cool young Sesa), 17 (shy Christian), and 18 (got it together Cristiana). My time with them was short, but more valuable than I could´ve ever imagined. In a nutshell I just played with the kids the whole time, they were irresistable. I would´ve packed them in my suitcase had they not been such rambunxious little ones. This family taught me so much of what life is. It is family. It is simplicity. It is appreciating what you have, what you´ve been given. It is tranquility. I am so grateful that they opened their home and lives to me. Their way of living patiently and with so little was refreshing. Oh, how I long to be free of distractions! What beautiful, beautiful pèople. There are not adjectives in any language for their beauty.

Unfortunately, it´s getting dark and I must return to my humble abode! Wish I could add more detail. Will soon! And I promise photographs tomorrow.

Amor, amor from Ecuador!

No comments: