Monday, January 21, 2008

Livin´ La Vida!

(Success at the top! With one of our rockin' guides. . .)




Mis amigos! Hope you all are well! I write to you with a happy heart but a very sore body! Yesterday a group of us went on a hike up a huge volcano called Cotopaxi. We proceeded to ride bicycles down the volcano once we were through climbing. It was muy dificil (very difficult) to say the least. But what a beautiful experience! Once again I was given the opportunity to see the beauty of this place from a different angle. I promise I´ll post photos soon!

What is new? I went to a family fiesta on Sunday that lasted all day. Ecuadorian families really know how to get down. There were over a hundred people there, and we were celebrating 15 birthdays over the last few months. It was there that I played futbol (soccer, of course) with a big group of Ecuadorians for about three hours. You´ll all be so proud of me- I scored a goal! I think that signifies I have officially been immersed into the culture of Ecuador.

I think it might be appropriate for me to simply list a few of my favorite things to try and give you a picture of vida (life) here: clothes lines (are everywhere!), incredibly bright colored buildings and houses, feeling as if I´m riding the Millenium Force every morning and afternoon on the bus, being serenaded by my host father with Mexican music at breakfast, the Ecuadorian countryside, the lights of the city at night, eating the most incredible helado (ice cream) for 50 cents, the sound of house slippers skimming across the floor, and trying to hold all of these experiences in my heart without it bursting! La vida is so good here.

La vida is also difficult here, a veces (sometimes). It can be a discouraging feeling, not being understood and not being able to understand others. This ladies and gentlemen, is what we call a language barrier. While my Spanish is skyrocketing, there are days when I am completely burnt out. It too is difficult to be without close-knit community. I miss you, Peacemakers! But it is also a gift, to learn to listen hard for God, alone. He has been teaching me a very valuable lesson. It is this: that what has been gained, has been gained. Some days I feel like my faith is being rocked and that it is being depleted. But, what has been gained has been gained. Yesterday, while I was climbing this crazy volcano I often wanted to stop. To give up. And it was a hard place to be in, a heartbreaking feeling to feel. But when I looked behind me, what had been gained, was still gained. When we follow the Lord he constantly molds us and teaches us. When we begin to feel like we have lost our momentum, and perhaps much of our faith altogether, we must cling to the encouragement that what has been gained, has been gained.

Photographs will be up soon, keep checking back!

Chao,
Hilary

No comments: