Saturday, January 12, 2008

Estoy aqui in Quito! (Translation: I´m here in Quito!)

(A piece of artwork done by Ivan)




¿Que pasa mis amigos? (What´s up my friends?) I apologize for my delay in writing- it´s been a bit of an obstacle finding Internet access here!

So! Where do I begin in describing my nueva vida (new life)? I feel as if I´ve been experiencing ¨various states of madness¨. (Gracias Lorah for my Ecuadorian mix! It´s been fitting.) Some of the madness has truly been mad, but most of the time I´m just falling madly in love with Quito. Let me tell you why!

I´ll begin with the basics. I live with two artists- ¡Que chevere! (How cool!) Ivan´s paintings cover the walls of our humble abode, or perhaps I should say pueblo. He also plays the guitar. . . and he often plays at breakfast! What a way to start out the day- Ecuadorian comida (food) with genuine Latin rythyms! Pati and Ivan are incredibly kind and have been so helpful as I continue to adjust to Ecuadorian life. Initially I was totally bummed there weren´t any niños (children) in the house, but fortunately they flood the streets, buses, and neighborhoods. Their little Spanish voices are the soundtrack of my life! I can´t get enough.




The first day I was here in Quito my family took me, along with otros amigos, down to Quito antigua (old Quito). The churches, brick streets, and beautiful people assured me my time here would be worthwhile. As we were walking, a nun invited us into a small convent tucked neatly aside one of the streets. Again, ¡que chevere! It was there that she explained this convent was also an orfanito (orphanage). Oh, my heart! Unfortunately all of the orphans were about visiting people in the city. But as I raised my eyes up to a window, what did I see? A precious Ecuadorian face peering out! This little one was enfermo (sick) and was unable to go out with the others. While he was probably quite sad, our eyes meeting made me happier than he could ever know. A picture of Ecuador I can never forget.

What am I learning of God? That he too, is an incredible artist. His work is displayed in the Quito mountains, the faces he has sculpted, and all the incredible beauty I am priveliged to witness here. Every day that goes by I grow more hungry to see this world that he has created.

Lo siento (I´m sorry) I have to keep it short tonight. I will continue to write for as long as you will continue to read! I miss and love you all so very much. ¡Hasta mi proxima! (Until my next!)

Hilary
(Pronounced Heel-ah-ree here. Roll your Rs por favor!)

2 comments:

Rachelleighhook said...

HILARY! YAY! Loved reading your update. :). I am about to have a quiet time and will pray for you.
love you
miss you
*Rachel Leigh! Hook

Anonymous said...

Hilary,
It is wonderful to read about all the great experiences you are having and everthing you are learning.
waspoy (we are so proud of you)
Love,
Aunt Sheila