Thursday, August 13, 2009

Little flowers that you have sewn...

I have taken another hiatus in writing, and that just isn’t fair. Please forgive me!! I promise to be more diligent in these coming weeks (as I always do, I guess). But you see, I’ve taken to hermit-ing a bit, and thus will spend a bit more time writing. You’ll be feeling the brunt of it. The trouble is finding the time to blog in between real life journaling- the writing that is with my hand! It’s like being in two places at one time. Alas, I must gather my thoughts!

Yesterday I celebrated my 7 month anniversary in Thailand. I have to admit- it was the first anniversary (I find myself always counting) in which I became rather sad in realizing that I am indeed climbing down the ladder of my time here. Thailand has become my home, these fellow teachers of English and Thai natives have become my community. I cannot imagine a day without them. (Sigh.) It’s incredible the way in which strange things become familiar, and unfamiliar people become family. (Another sigh.)



So- I’d like to let you in on my life in teaching. It’s something I’ve never actually blogged about in detail- yet it’s what I’m constantly doing. So, take a seat, and lend me your eyes.

In all honesty, the Thai Education System is nowhere near perfect. Most classrooms lack creativity and resources (and air conditioning). Thai kids have no idea how to write essays, nor really think for themselves. “Copy” is within every child’s English vocabulary. It’s disheartening for those of us who have been graced with a challenging and rather innovative education. Does it sound harsh? It might- but it’s what I’ve found in the time I’ve lived here. Such is teaching in a place that is not the Western world. As my father likes to remind me, “Hil, you’re not in Kansas anymore.” It’s true. Apparently I’m in Asia.

Thankfully the Language School I work for allows us a great deal of freedom- and the after school classes are chock full of creativity and ingenuity, if I do say so myself (for those of us teachers who are on our high horses.) But the high schools we contract out to are a different story altogether. There are typically a few ‘farang’, or foreign teachers, at these schools. And at both of the high schools we teach the beginner levels. Again, it becomes a rather discouraging situation because these students go on to have Thai teachers teaching them English in their upper level classes. Essentially, most of what we teach will be unraveled within the next several years. The broken English we seek to correct will be taught to them in the future. If this isn’t a dilemma, I’m not sure what is.



In thinking this way I have found myself defeated many a time. But I’m often reminded of a quotation (come on, are you surprised?). Someone once said something like this, “A student may never remember what you taught them, but they will remember how you made them feel.” I have found my teaching philosophy in this. I strive to teach my students exceptional English skills, and challenge them in it, but more importantly, I hope to make them feel valuable and significant. Knowledge is powerful, but perhaps confidence and value in one’s self is much more so.

1 comment:

Johan Castro said...

La educacion en muchos paises no es buena, el problema esta en que muchos no quieren que estos paises tengan una buena educacion (un pueblo sin educacion es mas facil de engañar)...
Pero lo importante es nosotros ayudar, dar algo de lo mucho que tenemos, dar amor, dar cariño, dar conocimientos, dar dinero(se nesecita dinero pero no es todo)..