Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Heart it races.

I woke up this morning to the sound of monkeys on my rooftop! It’s because I spent the weekend with our new teacher, Nicki, and my dear friends Tom and Sarah, in Khao Sok National Park- the largest Evergreen rainforest in the world- which lies 2 hours from our town. It felt like something from a children’s book, the way we spent our days discovering elephant tracks, searching for leopards (unfortunately, no luck), and keeping monkeys from breaking and entering. (Essentially, I should have obeyed the rules, because when a monkey caught me munching on crackers on the front porch he came right for me, and proceeded to shake the front door, and windows, in search of my treats.) I think this is what we call monkey business.



I must say, I never tire of the striking sights to see in this place, and I’m so often left speechless on my weekend getaways (undoubtedly, far from the city). The way the heavy rains quench the thirst of the trees, the outlandish calls of the wild (we were certain one of the bird calls was actually an alarm going off), and the means in which nature makes me feel so connected, and indeed so small, will forever mystify me.


. . . to find tongues in trees, books in the running brooks, sermons in stones, and good in everything.
(Shakespeare)

1 comment:

Megan said...

Hilary!!!! I think it is AMAZING what you are doing with your life right now!!! How long have you been in Asia teaching?! I stumbled across your blog and read some of your posts--sounds like an amazing time! I'm so happy for you! It's been awhile since I've seen you, but I hope all is well with you and your family!!! Peace & Love from Ohio! xoxo Megan