Sunday, June 7, 2009

Hello, June!

It comforts me to know that the weather is warming up in Ohio, and that similarly, it’s warm here. Perpetually. The reason I say that is because any time I see snow, or mention snow, or autumn for that matter, I become very nostalgic and miss home. So, cheers to the warmth!

I’ll have you know, I’m so excited about this month! And I have to admit, I feel rather accomplished that I’ve made it this far. When I count the months on my fingers, I’m always impressed with myself. January.. February.. March.. you get the point.

So, it seems that the past several weeks have been bursting with one notion in particular. A friend of my dad’s, who was in great shape, passed away suddenly of a heart attack. My dear friend Sarah, here in Suratthani, lost her grandfather. A young boy in our town died in a car accident. Our newest teacher of one month, headed back to the U.S. yesterday because her grandfather was given 2 weeks to live. And I’ve just learned that a fellow I know here in Thailand has cancer. I’ve been thinking of nothing but the idea that life is fragile.

The course in which I processed this idea has been complex, and an ongoing one. At first I was fearful, and ridiculously homesick. The thought of being away from dear friends and family for just one second was killing me. I kept wondering if it was worth the experience here to be away from home, and I was never satisfied with what I came up with in my mind. I ran myself in circles, into a pretty sad state. But then I listened to ‘Big Rich’- Rich Nathan- in his Challenge of Death message and was reminded of the one who has overcome death! I find great comfort in knowing that God is above all things, even death. In the gospel of John, Jesus says, “In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” In Jesus we have comfort and security- something I believe cannot be found anywhere else.

But still.. I continue to think on this idea: life, here on this earth, is fragile. It convinces me once more that it’s important to live in this moment. Right now. What should I do with it? Should I worry? Of course, not. Should I be angered? No. Death puts life into perspective, doesn’t it?

I’ve always been a quotation fanatic, so I’d like to use a few individual’s thoughts to express some of the deductions I’ve also come to.

“Don’t strew me with roses after I’m dead.
When Death claims the light of my brow.
No flowers of life will cheer me: instead
Give me my roses now!”
(Thomas F. Healey)

Oh, the importance of showing and verbalizing love to the ones dearest to you, now!

Let children walk with Nature, let them see the beautiful blendings and communions of death and life, their joyous inseperable unity, as taught in the woods and meadows, plains and mountains and streams of our blessed star, and they will learn that death is stingless indeed, and as beautiful as life.
(John Muir)

No comments: