Sunday, March 1, 2009

One day at a time.


Once I posted a video of myself, I quickly decided that perhaps that wasn't such a great idea. I might lose a few friends as a result. Thus, I am swiftly writing another post to distract you.

I've been seeing elephants walk down Chonkasem (one of the main roads in Surat Thani that I work and live on) lately. I freak out every time. It's so amazing! I saw a baby elephant yesterday. What could be better? And I'm currently planning my holiday in April with my co-worker Erika. We're heading to Chiang Mai. Our main goal is to ride an elephant. And for me, that is my only goal. It must happen. Or else.
So what is new? I think I've finally found my groove. I feel comfortable teaching, riding motorbikes, and ordering food. Life is good. I also went to a beach a few weeks ago, got to hang out in a rice field, soak up the sun. I'll let the pictures speak for themselves.


I'll tell you what- last night I had an interesting conversation with my good mates, Tom and Sarah (why, yes, I did just say mate- as in, friend). We watched Slumdog Millionaire. Have you seen it? After the film we talked about poverty. And we talked about how interesting Thailand is in regards to it. It is a poor country.. but not in an in-your-face kind of way. I would've expected so much more. But Thailand seems to have all it needs right here- the food is abundant, it's not too hot, and most everyone has a roof over their heads. We then discussed the fact that most everyone seems to own small businesses- perhaps it's a coffee shop (like the one I am sitting in now), a corner store, a small restaurant. Often times these businesses don't last and they soon turn it into something else- a hair salon, another restaurant, etc. They do whatever brings in a little business, and they make enough to survive and live well, by Thai standards. We've noticed that here, there isn't much discussion about dreams, future goals, desires. My initial reaction was sadness in this. How sad that these people don't have dreams, and don't think of what they could do, or be! But the more we discussed, the more I realized that perhaps I have no reason to feel sorry. It is simply a different way of thinking, of life. The Thai people may not be dreaming about the future because they have mastered the art of living for the day. The very thing I've been trying to do! I think I am in the perfect place for learning this. Dreams are beautiful and good, but they should not paralyze us in living now. This day has so much to offer- so much beauty to be seen, so many people to learn from, and grow with, so many chances to take. Today is a dream, and I should be thankful for it.

Dream, dream, dream! Dream of where you will go, what you will see, who you will meet- TODAY!

1 comment:

Anon said...

Where are you Hil?! It's been too long without a post! I love reading about your life (and so does Peter) post! post! post!