Monday, October 5, 2009

I want to go back across that sea.


Farewells and goodwills, partnered with a few tears, were bid to two of my dearest friends from this era of my life. And I was reminded of how terribly unique this experience is, and of the great companionship you feel with a community who knows it just as you do.

There is something brilliant about people who move through the world together, eyes wide open, beside one another. I’m finding that an experience is worth so little, if not shared. And I think fondly of Tom and Sarah, two friends who partake in my knowledge and dissection of this peculiar, yet wildly beautiful country. I then think of their great kindness and goodness. Tea over thoughtful conversation perpetually fastened us together. But I suppose I could not hoard them forever, and their voyage must begin anew. And as communities in the past have brought me thus far, I will carry you with me, in an envelope if I must, for as long as I can remember and reflect.

I’m hopeful, too, that the more paths I forge, the more likely I am to find myself crossing the paths of those I find most dear. Onward forging!

No comments: