Sunday, May 10, 2009

Dream catch me when I fall.

Hello, hello! I’ll have you know, this post finds me having just returned from a relaxing trip to Chiang Mai, Northern Thailand. I am unashamed to admit that I spent a lot of my time there simply hanging out, eating good food, drinking good wine, and just enjoying a true ‘holiday’. I am beginning to understand why people in the ‘adult’ world long for their vacations!

What did I find in Chiang Mai? Well! I found myself in a mall the first day- I know it sounds boring, but it turned out to be a true case of culture shock. I had forgotten about all of the products and comforts of the western world that are unavailable in Surat Thani- but it seems many of them can be found in Chiang Mai! I was in awe of lip gloss that I would probably never buy back home, an Apple store, and a movie theatre that plays films in English! I saw X-Men Origins: Wolverine, and was on the edge of my seat the entire time. Oh, am I far too easily pleased?

Don’t worry- I didn’t spend all of my days there- I found myself exploring Chiang Mia by bicycle, stopping at practically all of the wats (Buddhist temples) along the way. Chiang Mai is a clean, and in my opinion, hoppin’ city. I was even able to check out their University, with an art building not all that different from the Wex. For me, there’s nothing like an afternoon museum stroll. And oh, how I love finding hints of home in a country half-way around the world.

Let’s talk about elephants. The highlight of my trip was spending a day at Elephant Nature Park- where practically all of the elephants have been rescued from the hands of street begging and abuse. I spent the day in awe of these creatures, fed them, and even hopped in the river for a bath with them that afternoon. I think I cleaned approximately 2 feet by 2 feet of one of the elephant’s bodies- but at least I tried. Elephants are incredible animals, and my heart broke at the thought of the way so many of them are manipulated in Thailand. It’s interesting- because elephants are greatly revered here, but are equally abused and mistreated. How do we humans find ourselves in such predicaments? And it’s amazing to think that we have the capacity to manipulate such a large and intelligent creature. We as individuals are capable of so much, aren’t we? How and where will we direct all of our strength and energy? I’m finding that I want my time in Thailand to be time in which I decide just this- where would I like my dreams to take me, and how would I like to use my capacity as a human being to create change. I’m excited about this- and I’ll be sure to keep you in the loop!


Happy reading friends, and above all else, Happy Mother’s Day! I am grateful today because I have an incredible, strong mother whom I admire dearly. I will always stand behind the belief that my mom truly is the best in the world. I love you, mom! Thank you for always generously giving me strength, support, and an example of how to live passionately and deeply. Your character and beauty is beyond words, and you are SO missed. Muah!


No comments: